Have a knack for creativity in your little head? Then you chose the perfect thing for your life. To begin walking on the track you are interested in, one must understand what he or she is passionate for; it’s not only for designing but for all other things as well. Because right choices and decisions lead you to walk towards your goal. One must note a very important thing that, Fashion Design and Textile Design are closely related to each other but there does lie a difference between the two. Fashion Design deals with creating clothes and lifestyle accessories whereas Textile Design deals with enlightening the students about the process of designs for knitting, weaving, printing fabrics, etc. Lets see How to become a fashion designer.
ROLE OF A FASHION DESIGNER
The world cannot imagine fashion without a fashion designer. A fashion designer plays important role in our lives these days. This generation is the one which is most fashionable in its own way and the competition amongst aspiring fashion designers is getting tough day by day. Fashion Designers study and observe the fashion trends, plans out the ode in his mind, sketches it out on the sheet and the design is carried out on the chosen fabrics and clothing. With the use of marketing and advertisements everywhere, the designer promotes his designs. A Fashion Designer must always be ahead of the current trend. They have to keep in mind the desires of the people and also get into the minds of the people to bring out the best design.
Before beginning to get into the world of Fashion Designing , the aspirants need to know significant things :
1.Courses offered –
- B.Sc in Fashion Business And Retail Management
- B.Sc in Fashion And Apparel Designing
- B.Sc in Lifestyle And Accessory Design
- B.Des (Fashion Design)
- B.Des (Texture Design)
- B.Des (Leather Design)
- B.Des (Accessory Design)
- B.Des (Knitwear Design)
- B.Des (Apparel Production)
- B.Des (Fashion Communication)
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Design
- B.A. (Hons) Fashion Styling And Image Design
- B.A. (Hons) Communication Design
- B.A. (Hons) Jewellery Design
- MBA in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management
- MBA in Fashion Design and Business Management
- MBA in Textile Management
- M.Sc in Fashion Designing
The undergraduate degree courses are for the period of 3 to 4 years whereas the postgraduate degree programmes are for a period of 2 years. Also if you are interested in the courses which are for a short span of time , then there are Diploma courses offered by various institutions . The diploma courses include :
- Diploma in Fashion Designing
- Diploma in Apparel Merchandising
- Diploma in Fashion Communication
- Advanced Diploma in Fashion Designing
- Specializations in Fashion Journalism, Theatre Costume Designing, Fashion Styling, Fashion Forecasting, Fashion and Law.
In order to become a good designer, on must have an outstanding capability to draw the designs, because through the sketches only the idea of the planned design is expressed. You must have the knack to express your image in the mind through artistic and creative personality. The student must have a good taste of colors, shades, and tones. There must be originality in the work. The quality of observation and an ability to think in three – dimensions to translate the visualization into garments, must be strong.
To get good guidance and knowledge the student can apply for an entrance exam , which may lead the student towards a bright future. The exams that the student can apply for are :
- NIFT Entrance Exam
- GD Goenka DAT
- IIAD Entrance Exam
- Pearl Academy Entrance Exam
- NID Entrance Exam
4.Colleges and Universities –
After a student has qualified the entrance exams , the student will be able to qualify for the best institutions of design.
The best ranked institutes that offer the courses on Fashion Designing are –
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Chennai
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Patna
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Gandhinagar
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Hyderabad
- Pearl Academy, Rajouri Garden, Delhi
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kolkata
- Symbiosis Institute Of Design, Pune
- Amity School Of Fashion Technology, Noida
- Army Institute Of Fashion Design
- Pearl Academy, South Delhi
There are many more other institutions too which offer the course , but qualifying the above mentioned exams can get you into the best college.
If you are interested in studying abroad then you can apply in the following best ranked colleges:
- Humber College , Toronto, Canada
- University of Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
- Royal College Of Art , London, United Kingdom
- London College of Fashion, London
- LISAA School of design , France
- Instituto Europeo Di Design (IED) ,Italy
- Accademia Del Lusso, Italy
- London college of contemporary arts , UK
5.Syllabus and Subjects In Fashion Designing –
A student of Fashion Designing will be studying the following subjects :
- Pattern Making –
- Standard Measurements
- Technical Terms In Tailoring
- How To Take Body Measurements
- Child’s Bodice Block
- Different Types Of Child’s Sleeves, Collars, Skirts , Jumpsuits
- Layout of Frock
- Illustration –
- Free Hand Sketching
- Stick Figure
- Block Figure
- Fleshing the Figure
- Pencil Shading
- Basic Garment Shapes
- Weight Distribution
- Draw Head And Hairstyles
- Dress Draping
- Design Concept –
- Elements Of Fashion
- Fashion Terminology
- Fashion Cycle
- Silhouettes and Figures
- Classification Of Skirts
- Psychology Of Colours
- Elements Of Design
- Principle Of Design
- Portfolio Presentation
- Clothing Construction –
- Different types Of Seams
- Plackets, Pockets
- Necklines , Pleats, Tucks
- Sewing Machine Parts
- Sewing Equipment
- Faults And Rectification
- Basic Hand Stitches
- Garment Industry –
- Industrial Garment Production
- Designing and Marker Planning
- Quality Controlling
- Marketing and Product Costing
- Textile Science –
- Fabric, Fibre, Yarn
- Fabric Finishing
- Methods Of Dyeing
- Methods Of Printing
- History Of Fashion –
- History of Indian Costumes
- Traditional Jewellery Of India
- History Of Greek Costume
- History Of Egyptian Costume
- History Of American Costume
- History Of French Costume
- Surface Orientation –
- Embroidery Stitches
- Decorative Stitches
- Ribbon, Mirror Work
- Warli Painting and Tie And Dye
- Traditional Handworks Of Different States Of India
Note : The syllabus might change year by year , or more topics can be added. Also the syllabus of various universities may vary.
6.Jobs for a Fashion Designer –
After pursuing the course, there are various job profiles available for a Fashion Designer. The designer can apply for any of the following based on the interests and skills :
- Retail Manager
- Fashion Coordinators
- Fashion Consultant
- Make Up Artist
- Fashion Stylist
- Sketching Assistant
- Fashion Journalist.
There is a huge number of employment for a Fashion Designer in different sectors or industries :
- Corporate Businesses
- Media Houses
- Leather Companies
- Textile Mills
- Consulting Firms
- College and Universities
- Garment Stores
7.Top Recruiting Companies for a Fashion Designer –
Fashion Designer is expected to have immense imagination and focus. There are some popular companies that recruit the best Fashion Designers :
- Allen Solly
- Reliance Industries
- Tommy Hilfiger
8. Salary –
The average salary is set according to the position or rank of the designer .
- Creative Director –
This is the highest position in this field where the sum is extremely outstanding. The salary goes between 50000 to 100000 +.
- Junior Designer –
This is the second job that pays a good amount as well. It goes between 25000 to 40000 +.
- Design Assistant –
Here the salary begins from a low pay and it goes between 15000 to 25000 +.
However , the salary of the fashion designer is based on the experience they have along with the qualifications. Fashion Designer can open his own boutique or store as well , and can commence his or her own business. The earning can be done this way too. After having experience in the field the designer can have his own business and this can open a door to employment too.
9.Awareness of the field that is in your principle interest –
One must be fully aware of the type of designing he/she is going to take forward. You must decide in which designing he or she is interested : ready to wear /fitness, leisure wear/ haute caute. Along with these you must decide other designing too when you already have a good taste in Fashion , like :
- Bridal wear
- Men’s day wear / evening wear
- Women’s day wear / evening wear
- Adventure wear
With these important choices the designer must also ask his customers about what they need so that they don’t face any kind of obstacles in the market .
When it comes to Fashion Designing you have to remember that there are pros and cons to it. There are some significant points to keep in mind if you are aspiring to become the best known Fashion Designer :
- Life of a Fashion Designer is not easy.
- A Fashion Designer has to attend various fashion events to get in touch with the latest trends.
- The Designer must have wide contacts because that is going to help him/her promote his work.
- There are no fixed working hours. The designer has to sometimes go through sleepless nights to get the work on the designs done.
- While working the designer often comes to a place. Where he or she is stressed and that puts a barrier on their work. It usually happens because you have no idea of the near future. You must have a calm mind and calm thinking towards your goal.
- There will be times when you will be facing difficult customers.
- There is a lot of competition in the world and this becomes exhausting too.
- These days most of the designers use Computer-Aided Design (CAD). This helps the designer to have a pre-look of their designs on the virtual models, though some prefer doing it over the sketch.
- Be ready to accept the failures. Most of fashion designers have to go through a rough phase before they become renowned designers.
- The presence of passion, hard work, and a strong mentality must be constant.
- Once you become a successful fashion designer, you get to travel the world and meet a large number of people. Your contacts will keep on increasing.
- This is a job where you get paid for what you express through your clothing and designs. the income may be less at times but slowly and gradually through hard work the earning becomes a good one.