Arts stream is one of the most sought-after fields in India. However, students often limit themselves to traditional courses in arts such as history, political science, geography and other subjects after being overwhelmed by future prospects. While the courses have a vast scope on their own, there are several other courses which can be taken up by students who complete their +2 in arts. Some of the jobs are skill-based and provide a wide range of employment prospective. While arts subjects may not necessarily have the same appeal in India as compared to Medicals and Engineering, remember, effort pays! With the rising competition in the other two, arts are a viable and promising option in the near future.
What to remember?
- Different Universities in India have different requirements from age to minimum aggregate requirement. The candidate must continuously keep themselves updated with the university websites to which they are applying.
- In case of a common test, the colleges may or may not conduct a personal interview or a proficiency test. The candidates must refer to the university website for confirmation.
|Candidates applying to foreign universities are required to take an English proficiency test like TOEFL and IELTS, as well as standard tests like SAT or ACT. Proficiency tests are specific to countries and remain valid for at least 2 years. For instance, TOEFL is required for US and Canada while IELTS is needed for UK, Australia and New Zealand. Universities also require a letter of recommendation from the previous institute as well as a statement of purpose in most cases.|
HERE ARE TOP 10 COURSES TO PURSUE AFTER 12TH ARTS:
1) B.A. LLB / LLB
BA. LLB is an integrated law course that requires 5 years to complete. Other than the focus on the core law education, the course also focuses on a graduation subject. To do BA. LLB., the candidates must sit for entrance tests like AILET, CLAT, etc.
An LLB course focuses on the core law education and requires 3 years to finish. The candidate is also required to sit for entrance tests like LSAT. While doing an LLB, the candidate is also required to do a dual graduation in one of their respective disciplines, either BA/BSc/BCom, etc. It therefore takes longer than an integrated course to fully complete the discipline. The time can range anywhere from 6-7 years. There is also less exposure to legal education unlike those with a degree in integrated course.
There are several job opportunities for a person with a degree in law. One can either become a litigation lawyer, a legal advisor, company secretary, join corporate sector or sit for judiciary exams.
- BA. LLB: 5 years
- LLB: 3 years (+3-4 years of graduation in another subject)
Eligibility for National Law University Delhi:
- Candidates must appear for AILET (All India Law Entrance Test)
- A minimum of 45% aggregate in Higher Secondary School Examination (10+2) or equivalent is required to qualify for AILET. (For SC/ST/Persons with Disabilities, the minimum aggregate must be 40%.)
- Foreign Nationals are exempted from AILET, however they must match other criteria. They must also have an aggregate of 65% in Higher Secondary School Examination (10+2) or equivalent.
- OCI/PIO candidates can either apply either under the category of Foreign National or Indian National. If they apply under Indian National, they are required to take the AILET exam.
*OCI refers to Overseas Citizens of India / PIO refers to Persons of Indians Origin (as per the notification by Govt. of India)
Eligibility for National Law School of India University:
- Candidates must appear for CLAT (All India Law Entrance Test)
- A minimum of 45% aggregate in Higher Secondary School Examination (10+2) or equivalent is required for the following categories: General/ OBC/ PWD/ NRI/ PIO/ OCI.
- For SC/ST candidates, the minimum aggregate is 40% or equivalent.
*Please note that different NLUs have other criteria than the major ones listed above. NLU Bangalore, for instance, may require an English Language Competence Test if necessary.
Other Law Universities:
|Law School, Faculty of Law, Banaras Hindu University||BHU – UET|
|Jindal Global Law School, OP Jindal Global University, Sonipat||LSAT|
|Symbiosis Law School, Pune||SLAT|
2) B.DES (BACHELOR OF DESIGN)
There are several universities with their own criteria for bachelor of design. The most popular university however remains NIFT (National Institute of Fashion Technology) B.Des takes 4 years to complete and contains following programs: Accessory Design, Fashion Communication, Fashion Design, Knitwear Design, Leather Design and Textile Design. Apart from the above, the candidates can also become product designers, UI/UX designers, stylists and brand manager.
Duration: 4 years
- Candidates should not be more than 23 years of age for General category.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ST/ Differently Abled Person (PHP) category get a
5 years’ relaxation in age limit.
- To qualify for NIFT, students must have completed either one of these:
- 10+2 examination from a recognized central or state board.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination (London/ Cambridge/ Sri Lanka) at the advanced (A) level/ International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Public School/ Board/ University Exam in India or foreign countries, recognized by the Association of Indian Universities as equivalent to 10+2
- A Pass grade in Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by National Open School with at least 5 subjects
- Diploma of 3-4 years recognized by AICTE or State Board of Technical Education.
3) BA in JOURNALISM AND MASS COMMUNICATION
It is a 3-years program, that focuses on digital, broadcast and print content. Students are also introduced to other facets from Newswriting and Reporting to Media Culture and media production. The course offers a wide scope that is not limited to ground reporting and includes other fields such as Public Relations, Radio Journalism, Photography and others.
Duration: 3 years
- Completion of 10+2 from a recognized board, either state or central.
- Minimum aggregate is from 45%- 50%. Please note that different colleges have different requirements.
- Most of the time, the selection is merit based. However, some colleges may also take entrance tests.
- Indian Institute of Journalism and New Media, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication, Pune
- Indian Institute in Mass Communication, New Delhi
- Department of Media Studies, Christ University, Bangalore
4) BA in FOREIGN LANGUAGE
In the age of globalization, BA in Foreign Language has proven to be a lucrative course. It is a 3 years course that deals with the study of background and socio-cultural history among many other aspects. Students who finish the course can either work as interpreter, translator, tour guide, in aviation and embassies and international journalism among other things. Several international organizations like WHO, UN, and others also look for candidates with proficiency in foreign languages.
Duration: 3 years
- Candidates must have completed their 10+2 from state or central boards.
- Candidate is required to have a minimum of 50% (This is however liable to change as per the requirements of the university where the candidate is applying)
List of Top Universities that offer the course:
|Jawaharlal Nehru University||Entrance||Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Pashto, Persian, Russian, and Spanish|
|University of Delhi||Merit Entrance||Arabic, Spanish, German, Persian, Russian, French, and Italian|
|Jamia Milia Islamia||Entrance||Arabic, Persian, Korean, and Turkish|
|EFL University, Hyderabad||Entrance||Arabic, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Japanese|
|Banaras Hindu University||Entrance- UET||Arabic, Persian, Chinese, French, German, Russian, and Japanese|
5) DIPLOMA IN HOTEL MANAGEMENT
It is a 3 years diploma course, focusing on management of accounts, advertisements, housekeeping, hotel administration and catering among other things. Candidates with a degree can either manage restaurants and events, work as chefs and can even find jobs as human resource officer and marketing executive.
Duration: 3 years
- Candidates must have completed 10+2 from recognized state or central board
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% is required for General category. SC/ST/OBC candidates are given 5% relaxation.
- Most colleges are merit based, however, some colleges also take entrance exams like AIMA UGAT, AIHMCT WAT, etc.
- Amrapali Institute of Hotel Management
- Indian School of Business Management and Administration
6) B.A. + B.Ed.
It is an integrated program of 4 years which offers an in-depth knowledge of different subjects like English, Hindi, Geography, etc. along with a hands-on experience in classroom course. B.Ed. courses focus largely on Classroom teaching and communication skills for the classroom, and are perfect for students wishing to pursue a career in teaching. Apart from teaching, students may also get jobs as civil servants, researchers, etc.
Duration: 3 years
- . Reserved candidates require at least 45%.
- Admission process differs from colleges to colleges and can be either entrance or merit based.
- Lovely Professional University, New Delhi
- Amity University, Noida
7) BA in PSYCHOLOGY
Psychology is the study of mind and its behavior. BA in Psychology is a 3 years course that includes several areas of study like counselling psychology, clinical psychology, forensic psychology, social psychology, etc. Students who finish their course can either become therapists, career counsellors, researcher or join NGOs.
Duration: 3 years
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Ferguson College, Pune
- Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce
- University of Calcutta
8) BACHELOR OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (BBA)
BBA is often mistakenly limited to students who have done their +2 in commerce. The stream is one of the most promising courses, especially since it offers opportunities in various sectors from marketing and education to finance and sales. It is a 3 years course and offers training in entrepreneurial and managerial roles. BBA has a wide scope and candidates can work in banks, financial and insurance sectors, sales and marketing, human resource management, tourism management, among other things.
Duration: 3 years
- Candidates must have completed 10+2 from a recognized state or central board.
- They must have scored a minimum aggregate of 50% in +2 exams.
*While Mathematics is not compulsory in all institutes, Students who have studied Mathematics till +2 have an upper hand. The course itself demands a firm grasp on mathematics irrespective of whether one has studied it.
- Christ University
- Presidency College, Bengaluru
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Pune
- Department of Management, J. D. Birla Institute, Kolkata
- University of Delhi
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
- Jindal Global Business School, Sonipat
9) BACHELOR OF FINE ARTS
It is a 3-4 years course, depending largely on the candidate’s specialization. The course deals with the study of visual or performing arts. Where visual arts include painting, sculpture, animation etc; Performing arts include dance, theatre and music. A BFA degree is largely skill based and provides ample job opportunities in the entertainment and media field. Candidates can either work as Visual Designer, Graphic designer, Illustrator for various magazines, newspapers and as a freelancer, or as Art Critic to name a few.
Duration: 3-4 years
10) BA INTERIOR DESIGN
It is a 3 year program focusing on construction, designing and management of spaces. The course not only includes an artistic mind but also requires the conversion of an empty space into a comfortable environ. Students with a degree in Interior design are hired for both private and public projects, from designing personal flats and cafes to an office space or a large-scale establishment. They also find employment in architectural magazines, museums and boutiques among other things. While they can work as freelancers, they can also find jobs as consultants and advisors.
Duration: 3 years
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 from a recognized state or central board.
- Colleges tend to conduct their own tests and interviews, mainly related to aptitude and reasonings.
- Manipal School of Architecture, Manipal
- Arch College of Design and Business, Jaipur
- Pune Institute of Applied Technology
- Indian Institute of Art and Design