The notion of eye care has always been a second thought but after the pandemic hit, the working of the world changed and so did the mentality. When most of the activities ranging from classes to jobs to meetings became online, problems like itchy and watery eyes, bloodshot eyes became a common theme. Thus, the concept of eye care and healthy eyes has become important.
As our eyes shoulders such a big responsibility it is important for us to realize the importance of eye care too. Therefore, we have compiled the best tips and tricks for having healthy eyes and also some ways to maintain your eyesight.
1. Balanced Diet with Vitamins and Minerals
We all have heard that a balanced diet is paramount for a healthy lifestyle but it also greatly affects our eyes. Our eyes are affected not only by external factors but also by internal factors. Therefore whatever we intake makes a difference.
A good nutritional diet containing necessary vitamins and minerals like Vitamin A, C, and E and mineral zinc help in strengthening our eyes but avoids the development of conditions like Age-related Muscular Degeneration (AMD), Cataracts, Inflammation, etc. Foods such as
- Beans etc. have been known to contain these essential vitamins, minerals.
Food such as salmon, mackerel, tuna etc. are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which strengthens eyesight.
Lutein and Zeaxanthin are also very important to be included in your diet. They are a type of carotenoids which if consumed also helps in fighting against AMD (which causes vision loss). They are present in vegetables like
- Green leafy vegetables like Spinach
- Green Peas
- Carrots etc.
They can also be found in tablet form.
2. Keeping Your Body Moving by Exercising
Does exercising improve and benefit our eyesight? The answer is simple. As exercise increases the blood circulation throughout our body, the oxygen supply to our eyes also increases. This helps in removing the toxins and helps in avoiding eye problems such as cataracts. A simple and relaxing 15-to-30-minute yoga session can be very rewarding for the eyes and also for your body.
Other than moving the body, doing some exercises which are especially for the eyes is also important as these exercises reduce eye strain. Here are 2 simple exercises that can be done anywhere to improve your eye condition
- 20-20-20 Exercise – To reduce eye strain, after every 20 minutes of watching the screen, look away from the screen for 20 minutes and focus on a thing or an object that is 20 feet away from the eye sight. This will help in reducing the eye strain and avoid any dry, watery eyes, headaches, etc.
- Pencil Focus– Hold your pencil at arm’s length and position them between your eyes. While focusing on the tip of the pencil slowly bring the pencil towards your nose until the pencil is no longer a single image. Then slowly move the pencil away from the nose in its original position. Repeating this exercise would result in strengthening of the eye muscles.
These exercises may not boost your vision but would act as a defensive move against unpleasant symptoms of eye strain and would avoid any further implications.
3. Protection is a must
We all know that to protect our skin from UV rays, we have to put on a good sunscreen with a good SPF. This would act as a barrier from all the harmful rays of the sun. The same came to be applied to our eyes too. The UV rays can also damage our eyes through UV radiation and thus a pair of good sunglasses or shades are important. These will act as a screen between our eyes and the harsh rays of the sun.
So, remember to always bring your trustworthy shades with you whenever you step outside. These companions also act as a fashion statement too, thus one more reason to wear them.
4. Hygiene is the new craze
In today’s scenario, hygiene is vital but did you know that hygiene is also required for your eyes? If hygiene of the eyes is not maintained there is going to be a build-up of bacteria which can result in other eye diseases like pink eye. Therefore, we should form a habit to follow these simple actions to promote hygiene.
- Washing hands regularly
- Do not share towels
- Avoid frequent rubbing of eyes
- Reducing the times you touch your eyes, etc.
In the same case, if you are a user of contact lenses, it is very important to follow all the hygienic steps.
- Washing hands with soap and water before removing your contact lens
- Using fresh solution every night.
- Remove contacts before going to sleep.
- Dispose of your contacts as recommended by your eye care physician. Do not try to extend the life of your contacts beyond the approved replacement schedule.
For the ladies and gentlemen out there who use concealers, mascaras, and any other makeup products around your eyes there are some other practices also that should be practiced for hygiene
- Always check whether they are suitable to be used near the eye area. The ingredient list of the product can tell whether are safe to use or not.
- Always remove your makeup before going to sleep.
- The brushes and applicators should also be routinely cleaned as they may also harbour bacteria.
Also Read How to Protect Eyes from Screens
5. Look Away
Staring continuously at your phones and computers damages your eyes to an extent that symptoms like dryness, headache, red eyes etc. become frequent. The screen also emits blue light which studies show causes the eyes to strain and also reduces the sleep duration.
To combat this, Go on a short break in between your work. So, give a break to your eyes for about 20 seconds after 20 minutes of work. Your eyes will definitely thank you later. Also, the distance between your eyes and the screen also matters. The system should be at a distance of arm’s length and up to eye level.
6. Go out and touch some grass
Sometimes all this work and classes and net surfing gets too much and we need a break. Well, this break is also beneficial for your eyes too. Take a break from your routine and go outside. Sit on your balcony or go for a quick jog or a walk. Fresh air works wonders and also helps yours eyes too. Going outside not only refreshes your mind but also soothes your eyes.
After this short break, it is certain that you would be energized and you would work (or game) better.
7. Knowing is better
Let’s be honest when was the last time we went to an eye check-up on our own needless of a problem. There was always a notion that if there is no problem, there is no need for visiting a doctor but its untrue. It is very important to have regular check ups with your doctor to check whether there is an underlying issue with your eyes.
Having routine eye exams would help in treating issues in its early stages if any present.
It’s never too late to take action. Eyes are precious. All these tips may not magically boost your vision and would not remove your specs never to be worn again. But these practices would help in the long run and would postpone any ailments that may be at bay.