As long as we manage to keep the technology beneficial, it will keep benefiting us. Everything we know, love, and nurture about our civilization are evolving constantly and this huge change is done by the merging of Artificial Intelligence into our lives. Now I believe you must be wondering what is the role of Artificial Intelligence is in the future? What is its history? What is its roadmap to the future? What are its uses? What role does it play in different factors of our lives? Well, I will be answering all your questions. Just go ahead!
What is AI (Artificial Intelligence)?
Displaying human-like skills such as reasoning, learning, planning and creativeness are called Artificial Intelligence. Well, this definition may change according to the philosophy of a person because if you ask a common man, he/she may relate it to a robot that may change its form and could act, think and perform like a human, whereas a researcher would define it as a set of algorithms that can produce outcomes.
So to summarize:
- An intelligent being created by humans.
- Capable of conducting tasks intelligently without being explicitly advised.
- Competent in thinking and acting rationally and humanely.
Following are some junctures of Artificial Intelligence history that defines the journey from Artificial Intelligence generation to update development-
The birth (1952-1956):
- 1955- Allen Newell and Herbert A. Simon created the first artificial intelligence program which was named “Logic Theorist”.
- 1956- For the first time, AI was coined as an academic field.
The golden years(1956-1974):
- 1966-Joseph Weizenbaum created the first chatbot in 1966, which was named ELIZA.
- 1972- The first intelligent humanoid robot was built in Japan which was named WABOT-1.
The first AI winter (1974-1980):
- AI winter refers to the period where computer scientists dealt with a severe shortage of funding from the government for AI research.
- The period between the years 1974 to 1980 was the early AI winter duration.
A boom of AI (1980-1987):
- 1980- After the AI winter duration, AI came back with an “Expert System”.
- The early national conference of the American Association of Artificial Intelligence was carried at Stanford University.
The second AI winter (1987-1993):
- Investors and the government avoided funding for AI research due to high cost but not efficient result. The expert system such as XCON was very cost-effective.
The emergence of intelligent agents (1993-2011):
- 1997: In the year 1997, IBM Deep Blue beat world chess champion Gary Kasparov, and became the first computer to win against a world chess champion.
- 2002: AI arrived at the home in the aspect of Roomba, a vacuum cleaner.
- 2006: AI arrived in the Business world till the year 2006. Businesses like Facebook, Twitter, and Netflix also started using it.
Artificial intelligence (2011-present):
- 2011: IBM’s Watson won jeopardy, a quiz show, where it had to decipher complex questions as well as riddles.
- 2012: Google has initiated an Android app feature “Google now”, which was able to deliver info to the user as a projection.
- 2014: Chatbot “Eugene Goostman” achieved a competition in the infamous “Turing test.”
- 2018: The “Project Debater” from IBM deliberated on complex topics with two master disputants.
Artificial Intelligence Example:
There are countless examples of Artificial Intelligence that affect our lives. While the examples below are very different from one another, they all share one common trait I.e. the more data they are nourished, the more they realize. These are some of the most important Artificial intelligence examples that are being utilized today.
- Digital Assistants
- Proactive healthcare management
- Google Maps and Ride-Hailing Applications
- Face Detection and Recognition
- Social Media
- Search and Recommendation Algorithms
Artificial Intelligence Types:
As we grow through life, we will understand and learn more about Artificial Intelligence and this will give us more depth. These recent intelligent systems can deal with huge amounts of data and make complicated calculations very quickly. Well, we need to learn more to overcome the boundaries of these technologies. So I am going to simplify these boundaries to you in a structured manner. Let just dive into a more classified version of AI to not only understand the present but to discover a new future:
- Reactive Machines: Neither form memories nor use past experiences to inform existing decisions. These devices will respond to identical situations, in the same way, every time. Deep Blue, the supercomputer created by IBM in the 1980s is a descriptive example of reactive AI.
- Limited memory: It can absorb learning data and improve over time based on its experience like a human brain. These complete complex category tasks and use chronological data to make prognoses. Self-driving cars use limited memory AI.
- Theory of mind AI: After machines acquire decision-making skills equal to humans, they then achieve a theory of mind AI. The most significant feature of this Artificial Intelligence is to understand and remember emotions and adjust accordingly. The robots Kismet (2000) and Sophia (2016) showed some characteristics of this type of AI.
- Self-aware: These machines are not able to be aware of the emotions and mental states of others, but also their own. These can have human-level consciousness equals to human intelligence with the same needs, desires and emotions. Well for now we haven’t been so much updated as we don’t have that much equipment to meet the requirements. But as soon as we meet them this can be on a higher level, perhaps we may discover a new type. But that will be decided sooner or later.
Artificial Intelligence Application:
Let’s now take a glance at how Artificial Intelligence Application works in different spheres of our lives-
AI in E-Commerce:
- You can engage better with your customers with the help of Artificial Intelligence used in e-commerce.
- Virtual shopping assistants and chatbots are examples of these.
- AI can help reduce the possibility of credit card frauds taking place.
- AI can help observe and handle fake surveys.
AI in Navigation:
- Artificial Intelligence is heavily used by many logistics companies to enhance operational efficiency, evaluate road traffic, and optimize paths.
- GPS technology with AI features can provide users with accurate, timely, and comprehensive information to improve safety.
AI in Robotics:
- Robots powered by AI sense obstacles in their path and pre-plan their journey instantly.
- It can be used for -Carrying goods, Cleaning, Inventory management.
AI in Human Resource:
- Artificial Intelligence helps with random hiring.
- Can scan job candidates profiles and resumes to provide recruiters with an understanding of the talent pool they must choose from.
AI in Healthcare:
- AI Machines can detect diseases and identify cancer cells in the health care sector.
- Artificial Intelligence in Health Care can help analyze chronic conditions with the data provided to assure early diagnosis.
- The assortment of historical data and medical intelligence helps in the discovery of new drugs.
AI in Agriculture:
- Identify defects and nutrient deficiencies in the soil.
- AI can analyze where weeds are growing.
- AI bots can assist to cultivate crops at a higher volume and faster rate.
AI in Gaming:
- Used to create smart, human-like NPCs to interact with the players.
- Used to indicate human behavior using which game design and testing can be enhanced.
AI in Automobiles:
- Used to build self-driving vehicles.
- Used along with the vehicle’s camera, radar, cloud services, GPS, and control signals to regulate the vehicle.
- Improve the in-vehicle experience and give additional systems like emergency braking and blind spot.
AI in Social Media:
- In social media Artificial Intelligence in Instagram detects your likes and the accounts you follow to assume what posts you are displayed on your explore tab.
- With this, Facebook can understand conversations better. Translate posts from different languages automatically.
- Twitter uses it for fraud detection, removing propaganda, and hateful content.
AI in Marketing:
- Marketers can deliver highly targeted and personalized ads.
- Helps with retargeting audiences at the right time to guarantee better results and reduced feelings of distrust and anxiety.
- Provide users with real-time personalizations based on their behaviour and can be used to rewrite and optimize marketing campaigns to meet the local market’s needs.
This Artificial intelligence is a very frequent topic nowadays. To simplify this for you I am jotting you the latest Artificial Intelligence Project–
- Spam Classifier: Every day we get an email and most of them are spam. A tool that can classify the emails as spam or non-spam based on the content of the email will be a classified project.
- Optimal Path: The project idea is to find the optimal path for a vehicle to travel. This problem needs solutions.
- Next word predictor: When you type a text your phone can automatically predict the next word you want to type. This kind of model is emerging to assist people more.
- Self-Driving Car: A self-driving car is a huge project that implicates a lot of sensors and cameras to collect information. This project is a long way to go.
- Music Recommendation App: This type of project will analyze the user’s music tastes and will advise new music to them based on their interests.
- Automatic Attendance System: There a lot of time is wasted in taking the attendance. The idea of the project is to automate the attendance system.
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning:
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are often confused together. From being able to snap the perfect selfie to self-driving cars, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning have joined our lives in many ways and it is now being used to improve complex problems in most scientific fields.ML is a science of applying algorithms that can learn from past experiences. This means if there are no past prosecutions then there is no projection. The emergence of Machine Learning as the vehicle that drives AI forward is currently developing.
The Artificial Intelligence is the broader concept of machines being able to carry out assignments and, Machine Learning is a current application of AI-based around the idea of gaining knowledge. AI is concentrating more on mimicking humans and making processes and carrying out tasks in ever more human ways. Machine learning helps to develop AI, however, AI doesn’t necessarily have to be developed using machine learning. Machine learning makes AI much more convenient though. This sector is developing and engaging more and more with the developing world. Although these are two similar technologies and sometimes people use them as a synonym for each other, still both are different terms in numerous cases.
Artificial Intelligence Future:
Technologies like Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) helped improve human efforts to take on everything from health to cybersecurity. This is impacting every industry and every human being. Artificial Intelligence’s future is driven by its main factors leading to more contributions. Employing machine learning in place of humans is all about the future. AI is already at work all around us, influencing everything from our search to the way we shop. But what will AI mean for the future? AI is likely to have a strong impact on certain areas like-
- Medical: Benefits of employing AI in the field of medicine are already being analyzed. AI has proved to be more effective than physicians in distinct diagnostic contexts.
- Automotive: The world of transportation and automobiles is already changing.AI will also have a major impact on manufacturing in the coming future.
- Cybersecurity: AI and machine learning will be major tools in recognizing and foreseeing threats in cybersecurity.
- E-Commerce: AI will play a major role in the e-commerce sector. AI will continue to drive e-commerce.
In sector of Artificial intelligence is probably a part of your daily life that seems smaller to you but has a huge impact. When you see an ad on social media, it might have been developed by AI. The machine is the greatest blessing of AI to the nation. The machine Learning revolution will stay with us for a long time. Some predictions say that the widespread use of AI will lead to a second industrial revolution in the upcoming future. As more advancements are made this will become more common in daily life.
Change is needed for the world to overcome the hurdles of the past.